Monastery of Costa

Guimarães
Description
According to tradition the monastery was founded in 1154 by  Queen  Mafalda, wife of  King Afonso Henriques. The site has vestiges of a pre-roman temple. Although originally donated  to the monks of St Augustine, this order was replaced by the monks of St. Jeronimo in 1528. There is a stairway dating from the 18th century leading up to the church which has a Rococo facade. The granite dome of the chancel is in the renaissance style. Inside there are a remarkable set of  religious sculptures.  The monastery suffered a disastrous fire in 1951 but since then has undergone restoration transforming it into a Pousada.

Location: Guimarães
Hotel Mestre de Avis**

Hotel Mestre de Avis**

The Hotel Mestre de Avis is one of the best located hotels in Guimarães. Situated in the...
More info
Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães

Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães

1 km from the centre of Guimarães, the birthplace of the Portuguese nation, the POUSADA DE SANTA...
More info
Tasquinha do João

Tasquinha do João

OPERATING SINCE 2014KITCHEN PROFILERegional cuisineVegetarian dishFresh local productsTypical...
More info
Taberna do 7 Restaurant

Taberna do 7 Restaurant

OPERATING SINCE 2016KITCHEN PROFILERegional cuisineHealthy cuisine (special care: salt and...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation